Located in a seaside suburb of Sydney, the Old Library restaurant was originally a Methodist church build around 1908, and went on to be the shire library in the 1970’s. The original building had great bones and an existing level of texture (exposed beams and timber lining). Working within the voluminous spaces, owner Mario Kalpou and interior designers Hecker Guthrie have created a sense of intimacy and gathering through creating a series of rooms within rooms and spaces within spaces. Custom furniture pieces and a natural palette of oak, linen, white timber and blackened steel contribute to the relaxed and somewhat domestic space that is The Old Library.
images courtesy of Shannon McGrath